News:

• May 02, 2024, 07:06:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2A stooge  (Read 2765 times)

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
1/2A stooge
« on: April 10, 2016, 06:49:19 PM »
There are a number of places I can fly 1/2A’s close to home, mostly all grass fields. This is especially important to me now since our club field has been closed by the FAA (we are just within 15 miles of National Airport in Washington DC).

I wanted a simple way to stooge a 1/2A on grass and came up with this. It is a simple coroplast box with a slot at approximately 45 degrees. I believe almost any 1/2A can be made to work although to date I have only flown combat type models.

Since I hardly never fly glow anymore the motor does not have to be running and the airplane does not need a release hook. I use a 2.4Ghz car transmitter for the throttle. When I am ready I just pull the trigger and off she goes. The electric motors spin up very fast. I compete in navy carrier and except for the NATS I don’t even run up those planes before launch so I knew the power for take-off would be there.

The plane shown is a simple all sheet design that one of my grandsons built. It used to fly with a Cox Reedie. It now has a 2730-1700Kv motor, 12a esc and 500mah 3 cell lipo. It can do all the maneuvers, and with throttle some you don’t normally see with a 1/2A.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
Re: 1/2A stooge
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 10:35:15 PM »
That's pretty cool. I use a folded bathmat bungeed to a lawn table with a guy line to keep it from tipping over. For less powerful planes I strap it atop a barstool.

The brick follows the trail edge of the wing to keep it from rotating while I walk to the lines. Step back to gently pull it loose and fly away. The bungee cord staked in the grass is not very visible in the picture. It works best after the inside of the mat gets greasy.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here